11.06.2010

Charity Drops

What you are about to read is my comment to a post I read earlier today. I have included the link to that post: http://www.blogher.com/giving-down-what-does-mean#comment-231205

I enjoyed reading your article as I can really relate to the topic. My husband and I have been married for over 17 years now and we have four children. We ran our family-owned restaurant for many years before closing the doors in 2007 due to the economy and more and more people not dining out. It was a huge adjustment and we actually tried to look at it as a blessing in disguise: finally being able to be home during the holidays and, of course, spending more time with the kids. My husband has been able to find a couple of jobs that have, unfortunately, not lasted long. I was lucky enough to find a job that I really enjoy but it really doesn't pay the bills. We are literally living day to day to make ends meet, praying that one of our vehicles doesn't break down.

So - why do I feel guilty about not contributing? The Vets call, the Special Olympics call, but we just cannot give. My husband is now looking out of state for work and I will still be here working 40 hours a week, raising 4 kids, making sure they all get up and get to school in time and I still make it to work on time. I am tired of feeling guilty. I am really, really tired!

Then you hear about some Hollywood's stars new shoes designed by some French designer for $10,000 that they just received before flying off in their private jet to their third home in England because they are needed to star in an upcoming movie. I'm sure we can all agree that these "stars" are just too important and busy to be bothered with "giving". They make me very ill. When they do give, it's always highly publicized.

I know you're not pointing fingers at anyone in particular for not donating. I just wish someone could tap the resources out west (meaning where the stars are).

What we need is a modern-day Robin Hood!

Thanks for letting me spout off! I think I'll stop now before I turn to drinking -oh yeah, I can't afford it.