11.28.2010

Summer Vacation For All!

So here it is, Sunday evening; the end to my four-day weekend. I’m not sure how I feel about that. There is definitely the part of me that wants to go back to work tomorrow morning and actually do something with my brain. I also want to go back for the peace. The kids have had a 5-day weekend so you know they’re on each other’s nerves (and mine). Not that my job is peaceful all of the time. I suppose it’s really only peaceful on the non-payroll weeks. And by “quiet” I mean, fewer emails and phone calls. There is still lots and lots to do. Especially this time of year - so close to the dreaded ‘Year End’ (boo! hiss!). This week should go pretty quick, though, since it’s ‘month end’ and a payroll week.

And then, there’s that other part of me that wants to stay home. Just one or two more days to finish things up and complete the tasks that I had wanted to do during my extended weekend. I kept telling myself every night that when I wake up in the morning I will get such and such done before lunch time. Ritualistically, however, my plans deflated like a punctured balloon about 11:00 a.m. every day, when the first outbreak of fuming brats stormed the house. Getting them stabilized takes so the red matter doesn’t implode has really tired me out. I really need to crawl into a sleep capsule right now. You know, the kind that’s heated and sound-proof and massages you all at the same time. Oh wait, that’s science fiction.

Well, I suppose a shower and bed will have to do.

I know you Moms out there in the blogosphere understand my communications that I am sending out. I’m sure you’ve all said these words: “I need a vacation from my vacation.” I believe that the word ‘vacation’ is actually Vulcan for: ‘time taken off from work to catch up on home duties’. I think what we all need is more similar to a Summer vacation from work so that we actually have the time to catch up on the home duties as well as have time for the beach, skiing, shopping, trips, Christmas cards, or whatever we so choose.  I know. It’s wishful thinking. Like I said earlier, I suppose a shower and bed will have to do.