11.24.2010

Giving Thanks

I've been spending that last few evenings cruising the blogosphere to find topics of interest, and guess what...

They are ALL about Thanksgiving, Christmas, crafts and shopping.

I guess I'm feeling a little uninspired. I haven't done crafts in a very long time. Not since space aliens took over my life, er, no, I guess that would actually be the kids. I have never gone shopping on Black Friday and I firmly believe that there is no bargain worth risking my life. I used to write my Christmas cards during Thanksgiving weekend. But, alas, I have sent the cards out later and later every year. In fact, the last two years I haven't sent cards at all. Another tradition of ours has also taken a back seat due to the curiousity and wonderment of our smallest child, and that is decorating for Christmas. In previous years we would still put up the tree and just leave the bottom half bare for safety reasons. Now, we just put it off until nearly Christmas Eve and then the tree is taken back down again by New Years Eve.

I know. Pretty sad, huh?

That's how I have felt. Especially now that I have actually written it down for the world to see, I'm sort of embarrassed by it.

But here it is....

The BIG Reveal....

What I am Thankful for....

I'm thankful that I have another Thanksgiving and Christmas to celebrate. And I'm thankful that I have a husband who is supportive and still here. And I'm thankful that, even though they are often cranky, I have my kids to celebrate with, teach our traditions to and make new traditions in the process. I am thankful that I am employed and I have the greatest boss, possibly in the world. I am very thankful that I have found a new avenue to travel with all of you, because it very often reminds me that I am not alone in my struggles. That we all share in the trying times, the hard times, and also the good times.

These are the days and moments, right now, that we have been given. I don't want to feel like I have wasted any more of them. And I know exactly what I am going to do. I'm going to spend every minute being in the 'holiday frame of mind'. Now, I don't necessarily mean that I am going to be constantly decorating, baking, shopping, crafting and wrapping. What I do mean to say is: Family comes together to be Family only a few precious times a year where together we can just be. Whether it's building a snowman, watching a Christmas movie or baking cookies. It's being together and forgetting and forgiving faults and just enjoying who we all have become as people and as a special member of this family. We all hold a special position in the family, and it just wouldn't be the same if we were missing one of our members.

So, to my family: Thank you for being mine. I couldn't have chosen a better fit for me than all of you.

And to everyone else, whether we know each other personally or not, you all have a place in my life and I am thankful that I have been able to take your words, kindnesses or otherwise and use them to help myself grow and learn.

Appreciate everyone around you during this season. Hold your loved ones a little closer and a little longer. And...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!